As my deadline for the One Month $100 Project approaches, I’ve been spending a lot of time in my new room and I can finally see some real changes. Like all my projects, I’m sure the final outcome won’t be exactly what I had in my head, but at least it will be an improvement on what it was… ah don’t remind me!
One of the most noticeable changes happened to this ordinary collapsable banquet table.
It was purchased at Target several years ago for around $20. It’s metal on the bottom and plastic on top. I considered painting it but I was worried about the paint chipping off and, well, paint is expensive.
I was inspired by this Apartment Therapy post about using contact paper on a desk. Contact paper is usually used to line shelves and it comes in an assortment of colors and patterns. I got this one for around $6 at Target– I DO shop at other stores… from time to time. Anyway, here it is:
There was plenty on the roll for the table top and to cover some boxes. I actually messed up a big strip by removing the backing too quickly and it got all stuck to itself. Contact paper is easy to unstick from plastic and paper but gets easily tangled up with itself. So beware of that. But generally it was very easy to use. There was a mild glue smell but it went away in a few hours.
I also decided to add a small ironing pad to the top of my table. I’m often to lazy/forgetful/hurried to pull out the ironing board when I’m sewing. I took an old comforter that was destined for the dumpster and cut out a table-sized corner. Then I sewed a piece of fabric on top. It was very simple: just like making a pillow except there was nothing to stuff. I affixed Velcro to the four corners and the table so it won’t slip. (You can also see the recovered chair in action!)
Now I have a bold table with function on the side.